New Year's Resolutions for your Home
When the New Year arrives, many people feel an obligation to make resolutions. Although most of us make personal resolutions, making a resolution for your home can be empowering.
1. Clean out the food in your kitchen or pantry. Have cans stored in the back cabinets that have expired? A box of cookies that you always pick at when you feel hungry? This can compliment any weight loss resolutions as well. Make sure you have accessible healthy snacks when you feel an urge of hunger and only buy items for the meals you'll be making that week.
2. Change your bulbs. Do you have incandescent light bulbs? Switch to energy-efficient. Not only is it better for your home, this will will save you a ton of money on your electricity bill!
3. Re-caulk. Sometimes, bathtubs, tile floors, or countertops can look brand new with a simple re-caulking! Use a grout sealer after to protect.
4. Inspect your ductwork. Ducts are huge energy-wasters, leaking your heat and air through any holes. Sealing and insulating can save as much as 20% of the heat and cool air inside your home. It will save you money on your bill, and could also extend the life of your furnace, air conditioner or heating pump. If you opt for DIY, just concentrate on spaces that are accessible. Any bit helps! You'll need to use a duct sealant and fiberglass insulation to seal the seams and holes.
5. De-clutter and organize your space. Go room by room and throw away or donate anything unnecessary. Unless it's a big item, my general rule is if you haven't used it in 2 years (clothing included), you don't need it! You can also buy storage bins to store more stuff in your garage or attic if you're not ready to part with it. Cleaning out your living spaces will help you feel better. If you can't handle this on your own, a professional organizing company, such as Flourish In Your Space, can help.
6. Change up the color scheme. Sometimes all we need to re-freshen a living space or bedroom is a change of decor! Find a new area rug, curtains, throw pillows or accent tables to create a new space. Instead of neutral color dining chairs, replace for some bright colored ones! In your bedroom, change your comforter set, curtains, rugs and accent. In your bathroom, change the shower curtain, rugs, accent towels or hardware (soap dish, dispensers, toothbrush holder, cabinet knobs).
7. Decorate blank spaces. Do you have a blank wall or empty corner that serves no purpose? Decorate! Find a painting, a frame set or small shelves and decorate any blank spaces you have. Search Pinterest for ideas on decorate blank walls to get a sense on what you may like. If you have any empty corner or space in your hallway, create a reading nook or a bench and accent table to create an inviting atmosphere.
8. Paint. If changing up furniture or decor pieces just isn't enough.... paint! Changing the paint color can really set the mood for your room and make it more inviting. Be sure to test a few colors and choose one that you'll be able to stick with. If you don't want to do the full room, choose an accent wall.
9. Clean the windows. People usually wipe down the windows, however, doing a full clean can really brighten your home. Be sure to get the inside, window sills, and even outsides (with the help of a professional).
I hope you all have an amazing and prosperous New Year! If you're unsure about how to decorate or where to start, feel free to contact me for a free consultation.