Tips for Spring Cleaning
Although it's taking a bit of time to get nice spring weather in New England, it's about time for some Spring Cleaning! The thought of ridding your entire home of winter germs can be daunting. Here are some tips to make things a bit easier:
1. Organize your Closet: This is the first step to organizing the rest of your home! Store winter clothing, shoes and accessories to make room for your spring clothes. Organize spring clothes by styles, colors, etc. Your closet will look more appealing and will be helpful for your daily routine.
2. Clean Your Washing Machine: It's a good idea to disinfect your washing machine with distilled white vinegar and baking soda once per year to keep it fresh. Run it with hot water, add the cleaner, and let it sit for 30-60 minutes. After, restart the machine, let the water drain and wipe it dry.
3. Bedding: Oftentimes people switch up their bedding from winter to spring. Opting for a light fabric is better for the warmer months. Make sure you throw all of your winter bedding into the washing machine and dryer before storing it.
4. Mattress: While you're switching up bedding, it's a good time to clean your mattress. Use a vacuum crevice to clean the surface and sides, and spot-clean wit ha stain remover (Bissell Pet Stain and Odor Remover). Sanitize with Lysol Disinfectant Spray.
5. Clean Out Refrigerator: Clean the outside AND inside of your refrigerator! Pull out shelving and wash with warm soapy water. Wipe down surfaces on the inside. A combination of salt and soda water is also a great cleanser.
6. Clean Oven: Chip off loose pieces from the range, and then spritz burnt food with ammonia. Sprinkle baking soda and a few drops of white vinegar on the bottom. Once it bubbles up, then wipe away with a sponge.
7. Wipe Kitchen Cabinets: Over time, build up can collect on your kitchen cabinets. Use a Cabinet Cleaner (such as Parker & Bailey Kitchen Cabinet Cream) to get rid of dirt and leave the wood moisturized.
8. Clean Stainless Steel: Stainless steel should be bright and sparkly! Use a specialty spray (such as Homax Stainless Steel Magic Aerosol) once a week for a better clean. Be sure not to use too much. Use a lemon to clean water stains off your faucets. Rub a lemon half over the stains and wipe down.
9. Clean Painted Walls: Marks or stains on your walls? SPOt clean with a cloth or sponge and water. If you need something a bit stronger, use a little bit of dishwashing liquid soap. Be sure to rinse the wall afterwards with plain water.
10. Patio Furniture: Wipe down chairs and clean table tops with a mixture of warm water and dishwashing liquid dish soap. Rinse with plain water after and let air dry! Remove cushion covering and throw it in the washing machine.
11. Windows: To make this easier, get a windshield squeegee from an auto-parts store.
12. Clean Air Vents: Dust builds up in air vents throughout the winter. Wrap a ruler in between a rag and wipe inside each slat.
13. Switch Out Drapes: Switching out your drapes to a lighter, softer fabric can change the overall ambiance in your home for the new season!