New Year Resolutions for Your Home
Happy 2019! The time has come when we store away all of our holiday decorations and get started on our personal and professional new year resolutions. The beginning of the year marks a fresh start and oftentimes motivates people to get things done that they may have been putting off. While making your resolution list, be sure to create a separate list of resolutions for your home. Not sure where to get started? Here are 7 must-haves on your home resolution list:
1. Make Lists: Make multiple lists and physically write them down on paper. Being able to see what you want to get done, and prioritize, check-off and eliminate helps with productivity and leaves you with a sense of accomplishment. Create one list of all of your resolutions, and a separate list of the tasks you need to do to accomplish that specific resolution. Dr. Lisa Varvogli says, "a list helps you not to multitask, and do one thing at a time, which we know is better for productivity and mental health too."
2. De-Clutter and Organize: Do each room one-by-one to ensure you're covering all of your spaces. Create separate piles - one to keep, one to donate, and one to throw away. If you haven't used or worn something in 2 years - chances are, you don't need it! For things you are saving, do you have the proper storage? Too many shoes? Try these shoe containers. Random junk that you're not ready to part with? Buy some plastic bins and store them in the garage or attic. Cleaning out your living spaces will help you feel better.
3. Decorate: Does a room or space in your home look bland? Head to Pinterest for inspiration! Whether you want to fill a blank wall, or add some texture to your hallway, find pieces that fit your personality and the character of the space. Finding different pieces of artwork, frames, shelving and accent pieces can really transform a space. Turn a corner into useful space by creating a reading nook with a bench and accent table or using one of these tips for decorating unique spaces.
4. Bathroom Makeover: You don't have to change out all of the flooring and / or vanity to give your bathroom an updated look! Keep your bathroom looking fresh by simply re-caulking your bathtub, tile floors or countertops. Get new rugs, shower curtain and decor in a different color scheme for a new feel. Feeling daring? Opt for a new paint color and change the faucet and hardware.
5. Paint: Paint colors can really set the tone for the entire room. Whether you opt for a warm color, neutral, or want to go bold, do some research to see how paint colors can affect your mood. Test different colors and find some accents pieces to compliment them. If you don't want to do the entire room, try an accent wall. Wayfair's Idea Boards are a great tool to utilize before beginning any room transformation.
6. Clean Out Pantry and Cabinets: Sometimes, we keep food, snacks and canned goods longer than we should! Go through all of your cabinets and get rid of anything expired or that you won't eat. Either throw away or considering donating to a local food pantry (non-expired items). Is one of your resolutions to lose a few pounds? Get rid of the cookies that you always pick at when you're hungry! Take the next step and organize, too! Find storage containers that work for your space and label and sort what you're able to.
7. Go Green: Not only is it better for your property, making your home energy-efficient will also save you a ton of money on your utility bills. Upgrade your thermostat to a wireless model that will be able to detect your patterns and automatically lower the temperature when you're not home. Installing low-flow shower-heads, replacing incandescent bulbs and unplugging unused appliances are also ways to save energy. Inspect your ductwork and seal / insulate where necessary. An energy audit is also a great way to figure out other options for your home. Your utility company may offer this for you free of charge.
If you're unsure what color would look best, how to fill an empty wall, or simply where to start, contact me today for a free design consultation!
Need help organizing your space? Contact our partner, Flourish In Your Space!
Happy New Year!