10 Biggest Decorating Mistakes and How to Fix Them
You don't need to hire an expensive home interior designer to fix some of your design mistakes! Here are the top 10 home decorating mistakes and easy ways to fix them on your own:
1. Clutter: Having too many things can really cramp your style, especially in the kitchen. Be sure to keep your countertops clean and store away unused appliances. In your living room, find stylish storage solutions, such as baskets within bookcases or a chest table. Have children? Look for an easy way to organize and store their toys so they don't take over your home.
2. Style > Comfortability: First and foremost, your furniture is supposed to be comfortable. Have you found some trendy, yet uncomfortable dining room chairs? Skip over those and look for another option! You'll get much more use out of a space by being comfortable. Try sitting in the chairs before you buy them to make sure they're the right fit.
3. No Greenery: When picking out decor options, we tend to skip out on house plants. Adding a little green can bring a space to life and add color to a neutral palette. Real plants are also great for removing toxins in the air.
4. Too Many Photos: Do you have a table-top or mantel full of frames? Although the photos may be great, they can appear to add clutter. Try finding a space for a gallery wall to showcase your favorite flicks. For all of the others, get a photo album to store away photos and pull it out whenever you're feeling nostalgic!
5. Not Enough Lighting: If you don't have enough overhead lighting, add some table or floor lamps into the mix. Living in darkness can make your beautiful living room feel depressing. Install dimming lighting to control the mood of your space at any time.
6. Outdated Hardware: Have you had the same bathroom or kitchen hardware since you moved in? By simply updating your cabinet / drawer hardware you can easily update the look and feel of the entire room.
7. The Wrong Sized Furniture: Whether your area is big or small, your furniture needs to match your space. You need to measure and scale before making big furniture buying decisions. Don't put too much in at once. Start smaller and figure out the best sized pieces for the room.
8. Cramming your Storage Spaces: Whenever we don't want to get rid of something, but don't need it anymore, it usually goes to one of three places: the attic, the basement or the garage. If you haven't used something in years, this goes for clothing too, chances are you don't need it! Consider donating items you no longer use or need.
9. Too Many Colors: Trying to stay on trend can cause you to add too many different colors or patterns into your space. When in doubt, keep it simple. Stick to one theme to avoid creating a busy or distracting design.
10. Not Enough Color: Yes, you can never go wrong with neutral. However, not using any color in your design is a big no-no. You need something that pops, whether it's an accent wall, some throw pillows, or wall artwork.